Saturday, August 2, 2008

Taking it back...to the park?! Hardcore old school!



Whew...just got done with another great park workout. Was out last night with some co workers for a little unwinding of a fairly long workweek for us all. Had a few brewskies myself, on top of some very delicious appetizer platters. Anyway, it's all good. It's definftely out of my system now after getting up late this morning (weekend off)...so I took my a few of my toys out to the park across the street and did a great metabolic workout I pretty much just pieced up together with my jump drills and agility work and grass sprints.

All I took with me this morning were the following items:
44 lb kettlebells for swings and high pulls
a weighted handle jump rope for a warm up and "rest" work during my sprints
12 lb medicine ball for slams on the grass
4 drill cones
Ipod (I like alternative rock music from groups like Linkin Park, Chevelle, Disturbed, Nirvana, POD - but not limited to that though!! Hip hop, rap, pop...you name it - I like anything that sounds good during a workout! )
a timer for my intervals
My own bodyweight for advanced burpees
....and a park (bench used for alternating jump step ups, the concrete cement for "ladder drills" and some stairs to jump up on to the top).

And that was it! Man, it only took me 40 minutes to get this workout out done and I felt even greater afterwards as I type this.

Don't limit yourself to a gym...too many distractions, too many people...and sometimes, too much of your precious time to look the part of a gym rat (take it to the park...who's looking at you?). And it's good to take a break from the gym for a change of atmosphere every now and then. Simply take what you learn and see if you can apply it outside! You'll be amazed with the effects of working outdoors are and the results are just as great.

- Andy

No comments: